Subjects that Rile Folk UpEdit
- Many find "too hot to handle".
- This is NOT an occasion for "flameing" or ad hominem comment.
- What IS its focus are subjects / topics for which there are no easy answers.
- Usually indicative of entrenched opposing camps that would sooner undermine one another than seek common ground.
- HERE we will aspire to that common ground.
Cod Liver Oil & the Lilly-LiveredEdit
- (A Propos ala Alain, A Riff ala Coltrane)
- It's good for ya but tastes like crap
- Both are common knowledge
- You know both but choose to focus on just the taste.
- It's god-awful, horrible & only a callus fiend would serve it up.
- Yes, fiend.... A totally inhuman act & thus a fiend.
- Banish the fiend for thou would forego bitter Cod Liver Oil forevermore.
- Lilly-livered, dost thou not know that in ALL relations the ONE you meet is yourself !
- Clearly the map is not the territory.
- Mitaguyasin, heyoka.... Rman
The Map is NOT the TerritoryEdit
- A basic premise of "General Semantics" & attributable to Count Alfred Korzybski.
- No matter HOW detailed the map in your possession, when you actually walk the territory that is an experience no map could trully depict.
- When you follow a principle, like an ethical imperative that places you on the horns of a dilemma, you can feel that your damned if you do & damned if you don't.
- No matter how acute the insight BEFORE you make a fateful decision it can only give you a partialization of the AFTER fallout, the consequences that follow whatever course you decide.
- Another vantage to formulating a best course, making decisions, involves 3 premises of far reaching significance.
- "Ideas have consequences."
- "We can be cut-down to nothing at any time."
- "Act AS IF you've a handle on all the variants, all the outcomes, all the forces in play."
- Out of that matrix decide, act & live.
- Accept fallibilty, embrace it publically, is the only redemption.
- An interesting expression.
- It presuposes "Power" so let me define that.
- Power:the ability to cause or prevent change.
- Thus "Self-fullfilling Prophecy" presupposes an extant state of power.
- This power can manifest in a positive or negative form.
- Actions to promote change leading to tangible achievement is the positive aspect.
- A responsible excersise of that form of power entails due acknowledgement of a "greater good" beyond personal gain.
- In one of its negative forms power is excercised to impede change that would lead to the "greater good" defined above.
- Obstructions can take many forms but just 2 will be highlighted.
- Overt acts of deliberate obstruction or attempts to undermine progress. Here you discern the opposition - they're not concealing intent & thus honor bound.
- Then there are craven modus-operandi such as "Passive Aggressive" stances.
- In a paradoxical way it is the powerless attempting to excercise power by doing nothing.
- This is yet another characteristic of a feeble self-delusion that places personal gain above all. As if that alone in any way really mattered to progess in the greater world.
- "Change leading to tangible accomplishment" is what unmasks a root powerless state & thus the "passive aggressive" defense.
- Pitiful yes but also a source of dangerous resentments.
- In some ways the perception is akin to the adage:
- "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...."
- To be unmasked as feeble is grounds for perpetuating a course of revenge characterized by exclusive focus on Un-doing.
- This ilk reside in a true wasteland of mind & spirit I donot envy. More pointedly, it's necessary to guard against enervating influences that are its legacy.
- The goal of these dark forces is to demoralize or dispirit & in that can be effective but only if granted the power by those who would forfeit a bit of their souls out of timidity.
- Can Power ever be neutral ?
- Certainly not in its excercise.
- But what of a case where "Power" can be wielded but is not ?
- I'd have to say that this last case is a decision based on a position held & thus it cannot be neutral.
- So I'm inclined to postulate that power in the possession of a living entity can never be held in neutrality.
- It is always operating under some principle even when reigned-in.
Power & Its MeaningsEdit
- "Self-interest" & "Self-gain" are not synonymous.
- Indeed are often confused as the same in the realm of emotion.
- What is the nature of "Power" in these 2 distinct arenas: "Self-interest" and "Self-gain"....
- And where does that intersect the "Greater Good" ?
- For that matter: What is the "Greater Good" ?
Power's Dynamic GeometryEdit
- When "Power" is sought only over oneself & NOT others it becomes transparent.
- "Power" can be seen as a dynamic equation - a geometry in search of a tetrahedron thru tensegrity.
- 2 of the 4 aspects, or continuums, that are better known: "Light & Dark"
- The other 2, less known, are: "Attraction & Repulsion"
- What I mean by this last is abivalence: peeps want & don't want it - that is "Power".
- Power entails decisions with consequences that most would prefer someone else take responsibility for.
- As such the quad dynamic is: Light & Dark..... Love & Hate...
- Some hold in "absolutes" like black & white.
- Others hold to "continuums" like shades of grey or fuzzy-sets.
- Then there is a vast number of "True Believers" (secular or sacred) whose commitment can be seen as an "Escape from Freedom".....
More Hot TopicsEdit
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.